These Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings are absolutely amazing!
I made them for my parents and I am pretty sure I am now their favorite child 😉
We dipped ours in BBQ sauce, yum yum sauce, and also this burger sauce.
We all had different favorite sauces, but all agreed these are incredibly addicting!
How to Make Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
All you need to make this over the top, extravagant appetizer are three ingredients!
Bacon, onions, and BBQ seasoning.
I went with white onions and Meat Church Honey Hog seasoning.
And make sure the bacon is regular cut and not thick cut.
Slice the onions about half inch thick.
Then separate the rings into two layer circles.
You’ll really only use the large outer layers.
So either discard or save the rest of the onion.
Then wrap a slice of bacon around each ring, overlapping slightly.
For most, a slice of bacon was the perfect size.
Some larger rings I cut another 1/4 slice of bacon and then used the rest of that slice for the smaller rings.
With 3 to 4 onions, you should get about 20 onion rings.
Sprinkle both sides with the BBQ seasoning.
Set your smoker or Traeger/ pellet grill to 275 degrees.
And place the onion rings right onto the grill grate.
They will take about an hour and a half.
Just keep an eye on them and remove them once the bacon is cooked how you like it.
I used a spatula to carefully transfer them to a tray.
And let them cool slightly before serving.
Serve Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings with dipping sauces of choice 🙂
These really brought that WOW factor that made me feel pretty proud when serving them!
As you can imagine, they did not last long.
If you like Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings, you might also like these smoker recipes…
A complete list of my all time favorite grill and smoker recipes from appetizers, side dishes, and of course dinner.
Follow me on:
My Amazon Author Page
And join my Outdoor Cooking Facebook Group!
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
- Traeger/Pellet Grill
- 3 to 4 yellow or white onions (I used white)
- 20 slices bacon (regular cut, not thick)
- BBQ seaoning (I used Meat Church Honey Hog)
- Optional dipping sauces: BBQ, yum yum sauce, and/or burger sauce
- Slice the onions about half inch thick. Peel the skin off and separate the rings with two layers of onion in each ring. You will only use the outer, larger layers and discard or save the rest.
- Wrap each slice of bacon around each ring, overlapping slightly. For most onion rings one slice of bacon will be perfect. Some larger ones I cut another 1/4 slice of bacon and then used the rest of that slice for the smaller rings.
- Place them on a tray and sprinkle both sides with the BBQ seasoning.
- Set the smoker or Traeger/ Ppellet grill to 275 degrees. Place the onion rings on the grate for an hour and a half, or until the bacon is cooked to your liking. Keep checking them toward the end of the cook time.
- Remove from the grate and place on a tray, let them cool slightly. Serve with BBQ sauce, yum yum sauce, or burger sauce for dipping.