This Grilled Caprese Salad is certainly not traditional, but it is spectacular!
A typical caprese salad has sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, sometimes onions as well.
Then drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh basil.
My wonderful daughter had the idea to add corn and I decided to grill everything to make it even more unique.
How to Make Grilled Caprese Salad
You’ll need two pints cherry or grape tomatoes, a sweet onion, and four ears corn on the cob to get started on this fabulous salad.
Put the tomatoes in a bowl, slice the onion in three thick slices, and place the onions and corn on a tray.
Brush the onion slices and corn with olive oil and drizzle some olive oil on the tomatoes too.
Season all sides with kosher salt and pepper.
And toss the tomatoes so they are all coated.
Preheat the grill to medium high.
You can put the corn and tomatoes right on the grill grates.
But put the tomatoes in a grilling basket.
Total cook time will be 10 to 12 minutes.
Turn the corn and onions once or twice.
And shake the basket with the tomatoes a few times.
Remove the tomatoes, corn, and veggies when they are cooked how you like.
Let them cool a bit and then dice the onion.
Cut the corn kernels off the cob and add them all to a large bowl.
I got these adorable mini fresh mozzarella balls for this salad.
Or you could cut 8 ounces of fresh mozzarella into bite size pieces.
Drizzle in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh basil.
Toss it all together and taste for seasoning.
Add kosher salt, pepper, and more balsamic if needed.
We enjoyed our Grilled Caprese Salad with a fresh baked loaf of French bread 🙂
Even though it’s still only spring, this salad tasted like sweet summertime!
So fresh and delicious!
If You Like Grilled Caprese Salad, you might also like…
Follow me on:
My Amazon Author Page
Grilled Caprese Salad
- 2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 ears corn on the cob shucked
- 1 sweet onion thick cut slices
- olive oil, kosher salt, pepper
- 2 to 3 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella (cut into smaller pieces or get the mini mozzarella balls)
- fresh basil cut into ribbons
- Optional: sliced French or Italian bread
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl and put the corn and onion slices on a tray. Add olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper to the tomatoes and toss until coated. Brush olive oil on all sides of the corn and onion slices and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Put the tomatoes in a grilling basket and onto the grill. The corn and onions can go right on the grill grate.
- Grill 10 to 12 minutes, turning the corn and onions and shaking the basket of the tomatoes a few times. Remove when cooked to your liking.
- Let everything cool. Cut the kernels off the corn cobs and dice the onion. Place the tomatoes, corn, and onions in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. Toss together and taste for seasoning. Add more olive oil, balsamic, kosher salt, and/or pepper if needed.
- Serve with French or Italian bread if desired.