This Grilled Korean Shrimp Skewers recipe is full of spicy yumminess!
I feel like grilled shrimp should totally feel like a boring, healthy meal.
But THIS, my friends, feels like a splurge meal with the amazing flavor and incredible dipping sauce!
How to Make Grilled Korean Shrimp Skewers
What makes this dish Korean is the gochujang chili paste that is a staple in Korean cooking.
It’s easily found at most grocery stores in the Asian section.
The marinade for the shrimp is made with the gochujang, soy sauce, honey, lime juice, garlic, and ginger.
I am using garlic and ginger paste for convenience (aka-laziness 😉 ), but minced garlic and ginger would work even better.
Whisk it all together for both the marinade and the dipping sauce.
Gochujang chili paste is rather thick so it does take a minute to come together.
Some of this mixture you will combine with mayo for the dipping sauce.
Kind of like the spicy mayo that is usually made with sriracha was my inspiration for this version of spicy mayo.
The rest of it will get brushed over some shrimp kabobs.
I peeled and deveined two pounds of shrimp and put them on kabob skewers.
Then brushed most of the sauce on all sides.
Preheat the grill to medium high for a few minutes.
Once hot place the shrimp kabobs on the grill grates.
Brush some more of the sauce on the shrimp after flipping them.
The shrimp will cook rather quickly.
Only about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Serve Grilled Korean Shrimp Skewers with the spicy mayo for dipping 🙂
The spicy mayo may seem like a lot if only serving the shrimp by itself.
We had ours with rice so we mixed the spicy mayo with the rice for a yummy complete meal.
If you like Grilled Korean Shrimp Kabobs, you might also like these recipes…
And join my Grilling and Smoking Facebook Group!
Grilled Korean Shrimp Skewers
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsps Gochujang chili paste (Asian section of grocery store)
- 2 Tbsps honey
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste or minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup mayo
- Optional: rice
- Put the shrimp on to 4 to 6 kabob skewers.
- Put the soy sauce, Gochujang, honey, garlic, ginger, and lime juice in a bowl and whisk until combined. Mix 1/3 cup of this sauce with the mayo and set aside as a dipping sauce.
- Brush some of the remaining sauce on all sides of the shrimp skewers.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the shrimp 2 to 3 minutes per side, brushing the rest of the sauce on the shrimp as they grill.
- Serve with the dipping sauce on the side and with rice if desired.