Smoked BBQ Chicken Thighs
Smoked BBQ Chicken Thighs may seem super simple, but the flavor is out of this world delicious!
They actually are easy to make and a great recipe to try if you are new to smoking or pellet grilling because you really can’t mess these up.
But even if you’re an outdoor cooking expert, you’ll still find yourself wanting to make them over and over again.
How to Make Smoked BBQ Chicken Thighs
First trim the extra skin from 4 to 5 pounds of chicken thighs if needed and place them in a gallon size plastic bag.
For the seasoning I have olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, my favorite BBQ seasoning, garlic, and Umami Sauce.
The Umami Sauce is optional so feel free to leave it out, or order some from Savory Spice Shop.
It’s a great addition to just about everything that brings tons of unique flavor.
Add everything to a gallon size plastic bag with the chicken thighs along with kosher salt and pepper.
Massage the bag for a few minutes until the chicken is evenly coated.
And marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
Heat your smoker to 250 degrees and place the chicken thighs on the grate.
Sprinkle a little more of your favorite BBQ seasoning over top.
These will smoke about 3 hours total, flipping halfway through.
This is what you’ll see after flipping them 🙂
Make sure they are above 165 degrees and that the skin is cooked how you like.
You won’t really get crispy skin, but I do like the skin to be charred.
So even though my temperature was 165 degrees, I left them on a bit longer to get that char.
I made some smoked green beans at the same time as the chicken for a complete meal all on my pellet grill/ smoker.
Smoked BBQ Chicken Thighs are perfect for feeding a crowd!
My kids, husband, and our good friend all ate like kings and queens 🙂
If you like Smoked BBQ Chicken Thighs, you might also like…
Traeger Sesame Ginger Meatballs
Traeger BBQ Turkey Tenderloins
Smoked Korean Chicken
Smoked Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs
Follow me on:
My Amazon Author Page
Smoked BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Traeger/Pellet Grill
- 4 to 5 pounds chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 3 Tbsps BBQ seasoning of choice (plus more to sprinkle over top)
- 2 Tbsps garlic paste or minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt, pepper
- Optional: a tablespoon of Umami Sauce (link to purchase in post above)
- Trim the chicken thighs if needed and place them in a gallon size plastic bag. Add the olive oil, BBQ seasoning, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, pepper, and Umami sauce if using.
- Massage the bag until the chicken is evenly coated. Marinate in the fridge for several hours.
- Set your smoker or pellet grill to 250 degrees and place the chicken on the smoker grate. Sprinkle more BBQ seasoning over top. Smoke them 1 1/2 hours and flip them over, smoke another 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature is above 165 degrees and skin is cooked to your liking.