Grilled Harissa Glazed Chicken is a great mix of sweet and spicy!
Harissa is a Moroccan chili paste/ spread that has a unique blend of hot red peppers and spices.
The spice is not overwhelming, and in this dish the heat is balanced out with the honey and lime juice.
I highly recommend using boneless, skinless chicken thighs because they are extra juicy and flavorful.
Chicken breast tends to dry out easily, so thighs are the way to go in my opinion.
How to Make Grilled Harissa Glazed Chicken
First we will make a sauce from the Harissa, honey, soy sauce, lime juice, cinnamon, cumin, and garlic.
The sauce will be used three ways… a chicken marinade, save some to glaze the chicken as they grill, and also mix some with mayo for a dipping sauce.
If you can’t find the Harissa spread at your regular store, here is the link to order from Amazon…
Put everything in a bowl and mix together.
Trim the boneless, skinless chicken thighs if needed and put them in a gallon size plastic bag.
Add a few spoonfuls of the Harissa mixture and massage the bag until evenly combined.
Put the chicken and the remaining Harissa mixture in the fridge overnight.
Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
As the grill preheats, make the dipping sauce by combining half cup mayo with a spoonful or two of the Harissa mixture.
Then add the chicken to the grill for 10 to 12 minutes total, flipping a few times.
Brush the rest of the Harissa mixture on the chicken a few times too as they grill.
Serve Grilled Harissa Glazed Chicken with the dipping sauce and any side dishes you like 🙂
If you like Grilled Harissa Glazed Chicken, you might also like…
Follow me on:
My Amazon Author Page
Grilled Harissa Glazed Chicken
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup Harissa chili paste (link to order from Amazon in post above)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tbsps soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 2 tsps cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- kosher salt, pepper
- 1/2 cup mayo
- Trim the chicken thighs if needed and put them in a gallon size plastic bag.
- In a bowl, whisk together the Harissa paste, honey, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, kosher salt, and pepper until evenly mixed.
- Put a few spoonfuls of the sauce in the bag with the chicken. Massage the bag until combined, marinate in the fridge over night. Cover the remaining sauce and store in the fridge.
- Put the mayo in another bowl and add a spoonful or two of the Harissa sauce, stir until combined and set aside to serve as a dipping sauce.
- Preheat your grill to medium high for several minutes. Grill the chicken 10 to 12 minutes, flipping a few times and brushing the Harissa sauce several times.
- Serve the chicken with the Harissa mayo for dipping.