Crispy Traeger Chicken Wings
I have smoked a lot of wings on my Traeger, but this recipe has a secret trick to get crispy Traeger chicken wings!
I usually cook my wings low and slow and brush them with some sort of delicious sauce.
These are different because I am rubbing them with baking powder and cooking them at a higher temperature to get a super crisp skin.
You can play around with any sort of seasoning that you prefer.
I went with a packet of ranch, garlic powder, and old Bay seasoning.
The baking powder does not add flavor but it does help to dry out the skin, making it super crisp.
How to make crispy Traeger chicken wings
I am starting with five pounds of whole chicken wings.
You can easily follow the same recipe using the split chicken wings if you prefer.
First, pat the wings dry very well with paper towels that will help create the crispy skin.
Next mix together the packet of dry ranch seasoning, 2 tablespoons of baking powder, a tablespoon of garlic powder, a tablespoon of any seasoning blend of your choice, kosher salt and pepper.
Rub this mixture on all sides of the chicken.
Set your Traeger to 180 degrees and use the Super smoke setting if you have it.
We will cook these for about 15 to 20 minutes at first just to get some of the smoky flavor into the chicken wings.
Then crank it up to 400 degrees for about 45 to 50 minutes.
Also flip them halfway through so both sides of the chicken gets nice and crispy.
You could hear the crunch of the chicken skin as we dug into these beautiful crispy Traeger chicken wings!
You can start checking the internal temperature to make sure that it is above 165 degrees around the 45 minute mark.
I left mine on a little longer skin side down just to get that little extra bit of crispiness.
I planned to serve these with Buffalo sauce but they were so darn good on their own that we enjoyed them just like this.
If you like Crispy Traeger Chicken Wings, you might also like…
Traeger Smoked Veggie Pizza
Smoked BBQ Shotgun Shells
Traeger Cherry Turnovers
Follow me on:
My Amazon Author Page
Crispy Traeger Chicken Wings
- Traeger/Pellet Grill
- 5 pounds chicken wings (I had whole wings but split wings work too)
- 1 packet dry ranch seasoning
- 2 Tbsps baking powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp seasoning blend of choice (I used Old Bay)
- kosher salt, pepper
- Optional: Buffalo sauce and ranch dressing
- Pat the wings dry very well with paper towels and put them on a tray.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir until evenly mixed. Rub the seasoning blend on all sides of the chicken wings.
- Set your Traeger/ pellet grill to 180 degrees and if you have the Super smoke setting turn that on. Put the chicken wings on the grill grate for 15 to 20 minutes to start. Then turn the heat up to 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes flipping the chicken wings halfway through.Note: Make sure the wings have an internal temp over 165 degrees but you can leave them on a little longer if you want your skin extra crispy.
- Let the chicken wings cool slightly before serving. Serve with your favorite Buffalo sauce and ranch dressing if desired.