This Smoked Mexican Chicken Wings recipe has so many yummy Mexican flavors in a unique wing sauce!
Chili powder, a hint of cinnamon, lots of bright lime, garlic, and a little sweetness from the honey.
They can be made on a smoker or a Traeger pellet grill.
And topped with crumbled cotija cheese and cilantro to finish them off right 🙂
How to make Smoked Mexican Chicken Wings
First we will season 3 pounds of jumbo split wings with olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and Tajin seasoning.
Just toss in a bowl until evenly coated.
Then set your smoker or Traeger pellet grill to 250 degrees.
And smoke the wings on the grill grate for 2 hours.
Flipping the chicken wings halfway through.
As the wings are on the smoker, you can make the Mexican seasoning sauce that takes these wings to flavor town!
Sorry, Guy Fieri, I stole your line there 😉
Put some olive oil, lime juice, and honey in a bowl.
Add some grated garlic and chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and pepper.
Then whisk until combined.
It will be a thick seasoning blend.
After 2 hours on the smoker, toss the wings in the seasoning blend.
And put them back on the smoker for another 30 minutes.
Now that looks like pure deliciousness right there…
Top the wings with crumbled cotija cheese to add a creamy, cooling element.
And chopped, fresh cilantro for a beautiful pop of color and brightness.
Smoked Mexican Chicken Wings have quite the stunning presentation!
And they taste even better than they look 🙂
If you like Smoked Mexican Chicken Wings, you might also like…
And join my Grilling and Smoking Facebook Group!
Smoked Mexican Chicken Wings
- Traeger/Pellet Grill
- 3 pounds jumbo split chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt, pepper, Tajin seasoning (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic or garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Optional: crumbled cotija cheese, fresh chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- Pat the chicken wings dry very well and put them in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and Tajin seasoning if using. Toss until evenly coated.
- Set the smoker or pellet grill to 250 degrees. Put the wings on the grill grate and cook 2 hours total, flipping halfway through.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a larger size bowl with the lime juice, honey, garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and more kosher salt and pepper. Mix until combined, it will be very thick.
- Remove the wings from the smoker or pellet grill and put them in the large bowl with the Mexican seasoning paste. Toss until the wings are combined and place them back on the smoker for another 30 minutes, or until the wings have an internal temperature above 165 degrees.
- Serve the wings topped with crumbled cotija cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and/or lime wedges if desired.