I made a Pineapple Sunshine Cake on the Traeger a few days ago, so I used what I had leftover to make Traeger Pineapple Sunshine Pig Shots!
Made perfect sense in my mind to create a sweet and savory appetizer.
Pig shots are SO fun to make!
Like a little shot glass made of both sausage and bacon, and filled with any yumminess you can come up with!
How to make Traeger Pineapple Sunshine Pig Shots
You’ll always need smoked sausage and thick cut bacon to make these adorable pig shots.
And the filling for this version is Cool Whip, cream cheese, BBQ seasoning, crushed pineapple, and maraschino cherries.
I brought these to some friends at a pool party, and they were like “how in the world did you come up with this flavor combo?!”
I’m used to this question, but cannot describe the madness of my recipe creations 😉
Start with 8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature, some thawed Cool Whip, and BBQ seasoning.
Then mix together until evenly combined.
The most time spent here is making the actual pig shots.
Slice some smoked sausage, cut thick sliced bacon in half, and wrap the bacon around each sausage slice.
Secure in place with a toothpick and voila… you have a pig shot just waiting to be filled with deliciousness 🙂
Aren’t they so cute?!
Fill each part way with the whipped cream cheese and Cool Whip mixture.
Then top each with some crushed pineapple.
A sprinkle of BBQ seasoning and they are ready for the smoker or Traeger pellet grill!
Set it to 350 degrees and place them right on the grill grate.
They will take around 45 minutes to an hour.
Just remove them once the bacon is cooked how you like 🙂
Warning… some of the more filled pig shots overflowed, so be careful not to overfill them.
Top Traeger Pineapple Sunshine Pig Shots with a cherry during the last few minutes on the Traeger!
These were one of my all time favorite pig shots, and a HUGE hit with my wonderful friends.
If you like Traeger Pineapple Sunshine Pig Shots, you might also like…
And join my Grilling and Smoking Facebook Group!
Traeger Pineapple Sunshine Pig Shots
- Traeger/Pellet Grill
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 20 toothpicks
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- BBQ seasoning (I used Honey Hog)
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 10 maraschino cherries cut in half
- Slice the smoked sausage (about half inch thick) and cut the bacon in half.
- Wrap each piece of bacon around each sausage slice, attempting to make each look like a shot glass with the sausage as the bottom. Put a toothpick through where the bacon overlaps, through the bacon and into the sausage.Note: If a piece of bacon is too short to make it overlap around the sausage, stretch it or roll it slightly thinner.
- Put the cream cheese, Cool Whip, and a few shakes of BBQ seasoning in a bowl. Mix together with a spoon or hand mixer until combined.
- Fill each pig shot 3/4 full with the filling, add some crushed pineapple to top each one off, and sprinkle more BBQ seasoning over the pig shots.Note: Should make approximately 20 to 25 pig shots. Overfilled pig shots may overflow as they cook.
- Set your pellet grill to 350 degrees and place the pig shots on the grate for 45 minutes to 1 hour (keep an eye on them and remove when the bacon is done to your liking). Add half of a cherry during the last 15 minutes of cooking.Note: These can also be baked in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour on a wire baking rack over a baking sheet.
My new cookbook is now available, check it out HERE!