This dinner recipe for the griddle can be vegetarian/ meatless or you can add chicken to your Blackstone Griddle Caprese Tortellini.
It’s an easy dish to make and fairly healthy for a pasta dish with cheese.
That’s thanks to the simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar sauce and the spinach and tomatoes of course.
It’s kind of like a caprese salad transformed into a pasta recipe for the flat top grill 🙂
How to make Blackstone Griddle Caprese Tortellini
First thaw a 20 ounce bag of frozen cheese tortellini.
Then prepare the rest of your ingredients and put them on a tray to easily carry out to the griddle.
Preheat the Blackstone to medium heat for a few minutes and put the tortellini on the griddle.
Add some water and cover with a melting dome or a foil pan.
Remove the dome or foil pan a time or two to flip the pasta and add more water each time before covering it again.
Do this for 2 to 3 minutes total.
Then add some olive oil to the tortellini and to an empty space on the griddle.
Add a diced onion, kosher salt, and Italian seasoning to that space, and some diced chicken (if using).
I wanted mine to be a Meatless Monday meal so did not add the chicken.
Flip and mix both the tortellini and the onion a few times for 2 to 3 minutes.
Next add some chopped spinach, a pint of grape tomatoes, and fresh minced garlic.
Also more kosher salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, mixing together with your hibachi spatulas a few times.
And watch those tomatoes carefully so they don’t roll down the grease trap 😉
Finally add a little more olive oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, and some mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Combine and mix on the griddle for just another minute until the cheese is melted.
Taste for seasoning and add more olive oil, balsamic, kosher salt, pepper, and/or Italian seasoning as needed.
Serve Blackstone Griddle Caprese Tortellini with basil and more cheese over top if desired 🙂
The slight crisp to the tortellini sets this apart from any boring boiled tortellini dish… so unique and flavorful!
If you like Blackstone Griddle Caprese Tortellini, you might also like these recipes…
And join my Grilling and Smoking Facebook Group!
Blackstone Griddle Caprese Tortellini
- Blackstone Griddle
- Flat Top Grill/ Griddle
- 1 20 ounce bag frozen cheese tortellini thawed
- olive oil
- 1 pound chicken (optional) cut into bite size pieces
- 1 onion diced
- kosher salt, pepper, Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces chopped fresh spinach
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (plus more to sprinkle over top)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Optional: basil for garnish
- Preheat the griddle to medium heat. Add the thawed tortellini first, cover with a 9×13 foil pan or melting dome and squirt a little water on the griddle under the dome.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes total, flip them around halfway through, add more water, and cover again (if using the foil pan use caution as it will be hot). Set the pan or melting dome aside.
- Add some olive oil to the tortellini and to an empty space on the griddle. Put the chicken (if using) and onion over the oil and season with kosher salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, flipping both the tortellini and chicken/ onions a few times with hibachi spatulas.
- Add the spinach, tomatoes, and garlic, more kosher salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Combine and cook everything together on the griddle for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, another drizzle of olive oil, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese. Combine with hibachi spatulas until the cheese is melted. Taste for seasoning and add more olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, pepper, and/or Italian seasoning.
- Serve with more mozzarella cheese and basil sprinkled over top if desired.