A quick, cheap and easy dinner recipe that is also insanely delicious?! I’m here to prove that recipes like Grilled Teriyaki BBQ Chicken Drumsticks actually do exist.
A pack of drumsticks that will feed the whole fam will maybe run you 3 or 4 bucks.
And chances are you already have most of the other ingredients at home already.
I certainly do not specialize in budget friendly meals, but I DO specialize in yumminess… and this one, my friends, is BOTH!
How to make Grilled Teriyaki BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
This recipe starts with 6 to 8 drumsticks that I placed in a plastic bag to marinate without a mess.
I also used kitchen scissors to cut along the bone of each drumstick, and fanned out the chicken to flatten slightly.
Think of it as a little mini spatchcocked chicken.
This allows for maximum flavor, a quicker and more even cook time, and a pretty cool presentation compared to traditional drumsticks.
To the bag with the chicken, add in some teriyaki sauce, kosher salt, pepper, and your favorite BBQ seasoning.
Also lots of freshly minced garlic!
Massage the bag until the chicken is coated and marinate in the fridge overnight.
Then, when ready to grill, just head on outside!
I grilled some broccolini at the same time as the chicken for a complete, healthy meal all made on the grill!
FYI- season the broccolini with olive oil, salt, pepper and grill 5 to 7 minutes total… flipping a few times.
Preheat the grill to medium heat and place the seasoned chicken on the grill.
You can see in this view how the chicken drumsticks have been cut open and flattened a bit.
The chicken will cook 14 to 18 minutes total, flipping several times.
If you don’t like as much char, just cook on medium low for a few more minutes.
During the last few minutes, brush with a mixture of BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, and sriracha.
Serve the Grilled Teriyaki BBQ Chicken Drumsticks with the rest of the sauce for dipping!
This amazing dinner of chicken drummies with the broccolini was super healthy and felt like the perfect summer meal on the patio 🙂
If you like Grilled Teriyaki BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, you might also like these grilling recipes…
Follow me on:
My Amazon Author Page
And join my Grilling and Smoking Facebook Group!
Grilled Teriyaki BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 6 to 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt, pepper, BBQ seasoning blend
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (I used Kikkoman with no high fructose corn syrup)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Use sharp kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to carefully cut the chicken along the bone. Use your hands to fan out each drumstick, flattening each slightly. Then put the drumsticks in a gallon size plastic bag.
- Put the olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, BBQ seasoning, garlic, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce in the bag with the chicken.
- Massage the bag until the chicken is coated well. Marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Mix the remaining teriyaki sauce with the BBQ sauce and sriracha, set aside.
- Preheat your grill to medium/ medium low heat for several minutes. Grill the chicken drumsticks 14 to 18 minutes total, turning/ flipping several times. Brush the chicken a few times during the last few minutes of grilling with the teriyaki BBQ sauce.Note: Chicken should be at 165 degrees internal temperature before serving.
- Serve the chicken with the remaining teriyaki BBQ sauce.